Monday, January 7, 2008

Brotherly Self Love


Every now and then I attempt at being an adequate, if not passable role model for my younger sibling. So taking him to his first arthouse theatre seemed like an innocous thing (as I resoundingly refuse to drop $24 on seeing "Juno" yet again) and seeing as my reggaeton and Amy Winehouse loving lil bro probably would not survive a viewing of Bergman's "Fanny and Alexander" nor would I possibly be able to stomach the idiotic looking "the Killing of John Lennon", we settled on the only other thing playing at the IFC Center, the stoner comedy "Smiley Face."

For the record, I am not a stoner. I may be overweight, unemployed, haven't cut my hair in eight months, and enjoy the occassional listen to a mediocre jam band, but strangely enough, do not enjoy the Dutchie.

And my brother is a devout Roman Catholic who prays the rosary twice a day, doesn't ever use foul language, and for God sakes doesn't even drink/fight/argue/masturbate...which makes me think he'll either grow up to be the Pope or a serial killer one day. (A part of me hopes for the latter; a Filipino serial killer would be a nice touche to my fried fish brethren.)

Photobucket

Which brings me back to "Smiley Face," a film that unbeknownst to me, is the first "stoner comedy" my lil bro has ever seen. And ofcourse, he loved every minute of it.

And looking at a cast comprised of Anna Faris, Adam Brody, John Krasinski, John Cho, Danny Masterson, Brian Posehn, and Danny Trejo, it's a wonder "Smiley Face" hasn't gotten even the small semblance of attention most stoner flicks garner. Which has caused even the most optimistic (and cute) comedy geeks to be skeptical.

The trailer is atrocious, on an almost "Chuck and Larry/Good Luck Chuck" level:



But there are some saving graces in an otherwise mediocre feature:



Is it awful that I worried seeing Krasinski pull a Judge Reinhold might possibly 'inspire' my lil bro?

0 painful displays of affection:

  © Blogger templates Template by Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP