Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Shame Sale


I am a compulsive discount music shopper. Almost any item I wouldn't buy under any normal circumstances would somehow find its way into my possession primarily because it's on sale.

$13.99? Uh, I dunno... Wait, it's $7.99 for this week and it comes with a bonus DVD that's only available for a limited time only despite the fact that I've never listened to more than two songs off the album and only find the artist mildly interesting?


I've made horrific decisions before (Tal Bachman, Sahara Hotnights, Mika, countless movie soundtracks, and yes, Lou Bega) yet in recent years I have made a committed effort to quell my unflailing urge to spend money that would be better served being thrown into a bonfire. (No Ingrid Michaelson, I will resist you and your poor woman's Lisa Loeb-ness)

Which is why, fully aware of my current state of financial stagnation, I'm dumbfounded to find myself listening to British import Kate Nash's "Made of Bricks."



Critics have been quick to drawn comparisons between Nash and the indie beloved pop princess Lily Allen, but the inept comparison is more akin to likening Slipknot to Daft Punk because they like to wear masks.

She's Irish, mildly attractive in that if-she-didn't-have-an-accent-she-wouldn't-be-cute-sort of way, and her musical stylings learn more towards a disgruntled 11-year old Nellie McKay. (I know that sounds like an oxymoron)

While Lily Allen's pop concoctions maintain a fun replay ready value, Nash songs like "Dickhead" and "Mouthwash" carry the lyrical weight of an episode of "Saved By the Bell" (except that one where Jessie was addicted to caffeine pills; that shit was heavy) as one can't help but feel like "Made of Bricks" was a rushed production.



Nash is a conveniently cute pre-wrapped package of pop that tries to be something she is not, atleast not yet. Although her songwriting ability reflects a juvenile sensibility that is undermined by a lack of consistent overall fun, her cheeky persona leaves some hope for a better, mature, if not atleast more fun album.

0 painful displays of affection:

  © Blogger templates Template by Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP