Sunday, January 6, 2008

So you think you know a thing or two about Ptosis...

Ptosis, as described through wikipedia, refers to droopiness to any body part. It can occur in breasts, kidneys, stomachs, and eyelids. "In ophthalmology, ptosis is an abnormally low position (drooping) of the upper eyelid. The drooping may be worse at night, when the individual's muscles are tired. "

I recently found myself watching Radiohead's Scotch Mist video on Youtube and made the connection between Thom Yorke and Ptosis. After making that connection I started seeing it in other celebrities and musicians. Here are just a few examples of celebs with Ptosis:



Thom Yorke:
Just look at that left eye, now thats a good case of Ptosis. Thom makes Ptosis look sexy as hell. Yeah his eyes aren't symmetrical and he sort of has a perpetual sleepiness look to him but hell, he's still Thom Yorke. In Rainbows was the most influential, controversial, and fantastic release of 2007/8. It seems as though despite making a return to form with the more traditional rock album, Hail to the Thief, they've made an album that sounds more like a Kid A/Amensiac/Eraser mash-up. All of this brings me back to the genius of my Ptosis subject, Thom Yorke.
Now Ptosis is treatable. As a child he has a few surgeries to correct it but it seems that one of them might've gone wrong giving him the Ptosis.
I wonder if Ptosis can be used as a noun, verb, adjective, etc... It's an amazing word. Just say it with me, "Ptosis... PT-TOE-SIS." I absolutely love it.


Tegan Quin
Ms. Quin, one half of the duo Tegan and Sara, was recently discovered to have Ptosis. Something I wouldn't have known if I didn't obsess over their last album, The Con. I'm not sure why but I fucking LOVE that album. It has the musical emotional punch I long for in current music with the harmonies and quirkiness that I can't get enough of. I recently was given the album that included a dvd which had a special feature called Ptosis: Explained. In that special feature Tegan tells the audience in a comical way what Ptosis is and that she plans to have it surgically taken care of. I'm not sure whether or not this was part of the Dr. TR Quin joke but I've just about laughed my ass off watching the little segment.


And now for a taste of super creepy Ptosis:

Forest Whitaker
This man scares the crap out of me. It's an irrational fear of his physical creepiness. The eye just adds so much crazy to his already insane persona that I just can't take it. Whenever I see him on t.v. I want to turn the channel to something a bit more family friendly like the Disney Channel or VH1 Classic. His version of Ptosis is scary and it adds to his creepy man demeanor. Yeah, many people might disagree with me but I don't give a shit. He scares the crap out of me. Here's Mr. Whitaker being super creepy:


And that my friends has been a few "celebs" with Ptosis. Hopefully this has opened a discussion about Ptosis for you and your family. I know it sure has with mine!

3 painful displays of affection:

Leslie September 26, 2009 at 1:12 PM  

First: I'd personally like to say that I think you are an idiot.

Second: There are surgeries that you can have for ptosis but at the same time that they may correct the eyelid - they also shorten the muscle of the eyelid. Which means the person that has the procedure sees some "symmetrical" improvements, but then develops other problems. Such as the muscle of the eyelid not completely closing during sleep - causing dry eye and a significant loss of vision in that eye.

Third: look at your face closely in the mirror. Look at pics of yourself. Your features on one side of your face are NOT equal to the other. Nobody's is! So don't mock those differences that are more pronounced.

Basically, think before you post. Get the facts straight. And BRAVO to who you call "creepy." Forest Whitaker!

les

HateEnvy January 10, 2014 at 7:45 AM  

I WANNA FIGHT YOU SO BAD.

You're a disgusting person, and you deserve to be euthanised ASAP. Stop mocking people with disabilities.

AND HOW DARE YOU CALL FOREST WHITAKER CREEPY? HE'S SUCH A GREAT ACTOR AND WHAT MAKES HIM A BETTER ACTOR IS THE FACT THAT HE DOESN'T TAKE CRAP FROM THE MEDIA N HE USES HIS DISABILITY TO HIS ADVANTAGE.

Dude's a beast actor. You ain't got shit on him.

Lydia Byrne September 7, 2015 at 7:26 PM  

Haha, I just happened to stumble across this.

I was born with ptosis, it's a hereditary thing amongst the girls in my family, in my mother and grandmother it disappeared into their adolescence however this was not the case for me. When I was 16 I got an operation to fix my severe case. My eye was 45% closed due to my ptosis, I and my friends were very aware of it. I was never bullied for it, it just meant that people who knew me knew when I was sick, tired or had been crying - as my eyelid would droop more. I hated it. I wouldn't get in photographs, I thought I looked like a monster.

The day I got it fixed was one of the best days of my life. Had a full scale operation, general anaesthetic and all, and went home that night. The next morning I woke up and freaked out because my eye had crusted over so much that I couldn't open my eye. I remember being able to feel the stitches. I remember being in constant pain and not being able to play sport for months.

I now have terrible vision in that eye, but had I not had it corrected I might soon have had none.

I'm writing this to let you know that yes, some of us do know a thing or two about ptosis. This whole blog is so unsulting, it's actually upsetting. I was once picked on for this, and I will always remember it. To read this, is just astounding to me. Good work, you sound absolutely ridiculous, ignorant and down-right dumb in this post which I had opened thinking it was going to be a gratifying read.

  © Blogger templates Template by Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP