Thursday, February 7, 2008

Random Thoughts From a Random Guy #6: Humanitarians Do Exist


Recently, an old friend of mine who I hadn’t seen in years called me up. He asked me if I would like to have dinner with him and a couple of his friends.


Considering this guy basically was the reason I passed Calculus and I hadn’t seen him in years, I couldn’t really refuse.

As I arrived at his front door I was nervous with anticipation. What is he like now? What are his friends like? Does he have a hot girlfriend?


These questions swirled through my mind as I waited for him to answer the door.

Finally, the door was opened. A man with salt and pepper hair and distinguished good looks opened the door. It was the same jerk who used to come to class late and get straight A’s, only this time he had a beard that made him look like a cast member on "Survivor."


He let me in and introduced me to all his friends. They were great guys and one of the girls was pretty cute-but I digress. As the night wore on, I was starting to sense a pattern. They were all talking about humanitarian causes and things related to that.


I was prompted to ask my old friend what he had been doing all these years. He told me that after college he had a change of heart. He quit his job as an investment banker and now runs a consulting firm dedicated to non-profits. I don’t think this was a ploy to get laid, because he rarely had any trouble with that before.


He genuinely had become an altruistic man. I asked him if he thought any less of well…people like me? He shook his head and said no. He told me that it takes all types to make this world and that there is nothing wrong with being motivated by money.

That wasn’t all we talked about that night (We talked about how perfect Tom Brady’s life was-little did we know) but it is definitely what I’ll take away. I had seen a side of my friend that I truly didn’t know existed.

Photobucket

Here’s a guy who, because of his change in salary, had to go from wearing Armani suits to shopping at factory outlets- something I wouldn’t wish on my worse enemy.

However, if the measure of a man is how much he follows his own path, my friend is more of a man than most men I know.


P.S. -When I was a child, one of my favorite players was Junior Seau. It wasn’t because I thought he was a good player or anything, but rather because I thought his name really was Junior. Basically what I’m getting at is this: If you want to make fun of pretty boy Brady and company that’s fine by me, but please leave Junior out of all this.

1 painful displays of affection:

SeeMurphy February 23, 2010 at 11:32 AM  

i randomly came across this post but god you made me laugh. thank you.

  © Blogger templates Template by Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP