Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Cat People Are Crazy


When I was six years old, I remember buying my first book ever from the Scholastic Book Club, a monthly book club targeted towards parochial elementary schools hoping to milk money from naive students as schools and teachers reaped the benefits of free books and other free schwag.

And that first book was


Definitely not on the same level as Encyclopedia Brown, but at six, I thought I was being pretty sophisticated. (Somehow I rationalized that my reading "Garfield" made me more mature than those that read Dr. Seuss, cause Garfield was in the newspaper...God, I was a sad, lonely child.)

As I grew older, I also started to question the reality of the strips- since Garfield spoke via thought bubbles, did Jon actually hear him? Or was Jon, like most pet owners, merely projecting a personality that he could live vicariously though? (I was pretty deep for a nine year-old.)

This brings me to the brilliant Garfield Minus Garfield, which posits the idea that by removing the fat cat, "Garfield" becomes a funny and somber exploration of mental illness.

Some highlights:


0 painful displays of affection:

  © Blogger templates Template by Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP