Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Saul Williams...In a Nike Commercial?


Like many music heads are prone do, I've done my fair share of bitching about beloved songs/artists "selling out" in seemingly unrelated advertising campaigns. But artistic integrity don't put food on the table, and I completely empathize, but... Saul Williams?

As far as commercially viable songs go, a song about reparations is the last thing that'll make me want to buy sweatshop sneakers. And it's definitely quite a surprise to find the all encompassing socially conscious poet/activist/artiste Saul Williams (who recently made his Reznor produced album free) schilling for the "evil empire." Unlike other indie artists struggling to break through, Williams has held firm to his underground mindset. Until now...much to the chagrin of his fans.

What's next, Dead Prez's "Police State" in an NYPD recruitment ad?

1 painful displays of affection:

Self Ignorance June 18, 2008 at 3:20 PM  

Finally!!! Someone who feels the same way about this. I was very disappointed to find out. I just don't get it. Now he's doing shit with Kayne West?! wtf?

  © Blogger templates Template by Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP