Thursday, May 1, 2008

Random Thoughts From a Random Guy # 10: I Drink From Your Cocktail

Photobucket

Recently, I’ve been spending so much time at the office that I forgot what an overpriced rum & coke tasted like.


So, when my co-worker asked me to join him for drinks, I agreed. We rounded up some of the office drunks and one of the secretaries,so that it wouldn’t look like a sausage fest. I think you know where this is going.


I don’t usually come on to people I work with, but Alyssa, the secretary, looked like the kind of girl who drives a Volvo- and I’m a sucker for a girl who drives a Volvo.

We started to make small talk and found we were both movie buffs to a certain extent. I talked about how Johnny Depp was robbed yet again of an Oscar. She brought up Daniel Day-Lewis. Normally I wouldn’t have a problem with this, but she kept going on and on.

Photobucket

In fact, she spoke about him so much that after a while I couldn’t take it anymore. I wanted to drink myself senseless. Don’t get me wrong, I love the guy as much as anyone (except her), but he doesn’t need to be put on a pedestal.

Photobucket

After I got home, I sat down and collected my thoughts. I was angry, but did not know why. To tell you the truth, I’m still not sure. Maybe I don’t like him as much as I thought. Maybe I think that because he already had an Oscar he should not be given a second. Maybe I was jealous.


I tried to reason with myself that I have to many things on my plate to be consumed with anger over some college girl’s obsession with a talented actor/blacksmith.

I’m seriously considering to get some help. There must be something more to this that I just don’t see. I’m too old to be acting like this. Maybe I’m just creating a problem where there is none.


Perhaps, I like to be angry with women. Perhaps I really just hate Alyssa’s rambling and I’m directing my hatred toward Mr. Lewis.

There is one theory however that still haunts me. Daniel Day-Lewis is one of the most self-assured actors of our time. You would have to be in order to make "My Beautiful Launderette." His level of commitment to the decisions he makes is honestly unparalleled. Maybe this is the real problem.


With the market being what it is, it has been increasingly hard to get a sound return on a customer’s investment and increasingly easier to second guess oneself. This is exactly what I’ve been doing. I’ve been second-guessing myself so much that my customers have begun to second-guess me as well.

I could just be jealous of Mr. Lewis’ assuredness and mustache, but mainly his assuredness.


Like everyone in these distressing times, sometimes you just need to relax and remember that if we are to succeed, maybe there needs to be a little Daniel Day-Lewis in all of us.

0 painful displays of affection:

  © Blogger templates Template by Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP