Thursday, October 23, 2008

Diary of the Unemployed



You know what's worse than getting let go? Having to stay at your place of employment for two weeks after they tell you of their decision. It's a situation I wouldn't wish upon any of my friends but some of my enemies. Being in the aforementioned predicament myself I have wrestled with several different emotions and have made one or two decision on how to spend my time during these last two weeks. I figured that since I'm already technically fired, I shouldn't be penalized if I do absolutely nothing productive for my last two weeks.

So today I spent my day looking for a job and helping a friend, who was also fired, find information on food stamps. Here is what I found out:












SNAP: Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program


Apparently someone, somewhere decided that the Food Stamp Program was too cold of a name for something as warm and delicious as government cheese. So on October 1st, 2008, the federal government stepped in and changed the name to SNAP and made me smile incessantly in the process.

Now for New Yorkers, the name has yet to get legislative approval, which is heart breaking, I know. Don't worry though, I'm sure it'll be resolved soon and all of your SNAP phrases will be put to good use.

I'm mentally saving the following soon to be internationally known catchphrase for the day when the SNAP name is approved for New York:

"OH SNAP! You got food stamps?!"


That catchphrase would do wonders for the program, I'm sure.

0 painful displays of affection:

  © Blogger templates Template by Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP