Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Kenny Loggins' infinite effervescence confounds even Pooh Bear


Repressed memory: a significant memory, usually of a traumatic nature that has become unavailable for recall; memories that have been dissociated from awareness
I have all the words to "House at Pooh Corner" memorized. Memorized. And I don't know why. I never owned the album. Never really grew up loving that particular Kenny Loggins song or had any compulsory school/church/family function that would have necessitated me knowing every single word in this song.

And yet every time I hear it, a stern grip takes hold of my insides and I'm incapacitated. Not out of fear or pain or nostalgia. Just frozen. I don't even particularly like the song, but for some reason it has a hold on me. And it's frightening.



Maybe my folks left Lite FM blaring next to my crib one too many times. Maybe it's just a cute little song that causes this involuntary physical reaction for no real reason.

Yet maybe one day, just like the Bangles' "Eternal Flame," memories of a horrifically traumatic childhood experience will explode to the forefront, causing the frightening image of family members interacting in a way no four year-old should ever be privy to seeing. Ever.



Shudder.

1 painful displays of affection:

Rob January 27, 2009 at 11:13 AM  

I love Winnie the Pooh. I'm currently reading the original stories. Pooh Corner is the place to be.

  © Blogger templates Template by Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP