Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Have brown friend, will travel (or at least look less racist-like in a post-racial society)

  • When I was younger, the magic was found in having the oh-so-rare white friend in a predominantly Hispanic, African American, Indian and Asian neighborhood.
  • In high school, the Italians and the Irish outnumbered the browns, and made me a majority of the minority.
  • In college, there were stretches of classes where I was the only brown person in the class, often times picked to give "the other perspective" in class discussions.
I was unique. I was special. I was brown. Minority pride: it's what's getting the lighter, whiter opposite sex to be intrigued by your exotic pigmentation that's what's for dinner.


0 painful displays of affection:

  © Blogger templates Template by Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP